Monday, February 14, 2005

Class #2

This week's class went alright--we did better with things from last week that needed working on, but there are other things to do as we go on.

We started out a bit late, so I have to make sure to try to get there and be starting at 6:30. I brought the syllabus and went over it quick, and asked that we have discussion rules like raising hands from now on. I also told them that I am going to try to not say 'like' and other garbage, and asked for their help in calling me out if i don't notice that i'm going it. (They seemed to like that.)

There were a few new guys, which was a problem in that I didn't have enough handouts or notebooks from last week to give. But some of them had shared, so they had read it. Over half of the guys from last week wrote responses to the reading, and others had things to say, so we went around in a circle with each person either reading or just speaking. I let the others respond to them, so it was more of a discussion that went around their essays. Almost all of them had some sort of response to the reading, and some were extremely eloquent with what they had to say. Blew me away. But there were two guys who didn't get to read because we ran out of time; they'll get to talk first thing next week.

The hardest part that I hadn't anticipated was having to think of questions or respond to thier readings on the spot. A couple times I couldn't think of a real response and felt bad, because I didn't want them to think that their writing didn't do anything for me...

I tried to be clearer in what I want them to do for next week: (read Ch 1 and 2 of Believing is Seeing, and a handout by Ben Shahn "On Nonconformity") Write an essay on something that struck you in one or both of them--something you like, don't like, anything. Write about what you want to bring to the class next week.

thoughts:
* All the guys have great thoughts on the readings, no shortage of things to say. But more structure would help. Before monday I had read the pieces, made notes, and pulled out the main points I wanted them to get out of the reading. Most of these came up in our discussion, but I could have made sure to repeat them or highlight the points, to better guide the class and give structure.
* They all seemed to want to read their piece word-for-word-- maybe they wanted to, or maybe I wasn't clear enough that they didn't have to read. A couple seemed to feel bad that they didn't have something written or finished, but I told them not to worry (cuz it's the first assignment and I wasn't clear). Several said they didn't know exactly what I wanted them to do for the writing, and one said he doesn't yet know what the class is really /about/...though I know this, I couldn't say it right then, and should have been able to lay that out.
* I need to try harder to be incredibly CLEAR in what my intentions are, what I am asking them to do, why this class is important and what my perspective is on art specifically. I think if I lay out my take on art, talk about lived experience and not just the theory I study, it can be a springboard for some really good discussions. Not only will they know more about who I am, but they'll have something concrete that they can grab onto, either to criticize or consider.
* Ugh, better time management. And leave 5 minutes at the end for wrapping up, questions, etc.
* Have everyone say their name when they talk, so i can learn their names better (thanks JP!).
* Not have everyone read, takes too long. But all should talk, no one should be idle for too long or I've lost them. And that just sucks besides.
* Think of specific questions for future readings, maybe give them questions along with the assignment so they can focus their reading and have questions to write on.
* Have an "art share" or something soon--each person tells or shows some of their favorite art. Takes the focus off of what I'm giving them as subject matter, and will expand all of our definition of art at this point.
* The connection was made with Shakespeare, that was awesome. We can play with that more I think.
phew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home