Monday, February 28, 2005

Week #4

Class went better this week, I think. We discussed the book 'Believing is Seeing' that they had finished for this week, and I tried to re-emphasize key points. We talked about art mostly in the last century, and how 'modern art' really blew things up so that art could be more or less what anyone wants it to be. Some seem to agree with the author, and others disagree strongly; I'm trying to make sure they get her argument at least, so they can give a clearer critique.

One guy commented that our book caused him to change his mind on art, think of it differently. Other guys have said this too, and it is also echoed quite a bit in their writings, which is great. (There's a recurring sentiment that art is individual's expression, a form of communication, and broader than any pat definition tries to mandate. And lots of talk about how art matters…it seems to for everyone, so I want to find more ways to tap into that.)

Reading their writings has been amazing.

Also amazing was the 'art share', where they were asked to bring in some kind of example of a favorite artist/piece of art. Half of the class went this week, and the rest will go after break, because it would have taken too long. Hearing them talk about it was really touching, and the personal element made class that much more interesting. They brought in drawings by their kids, one brought poetry, another some leatherwork he makes there; there was also art by a fellow inmate (not in the class), a picture of Detroit mayor Coleman Young, and photographs from a family member's trip to Florida.

I gave the assignment of starting to do some artwork on that relates to what they've been discussing with Shakespeare or else another thing they are reading at the moment. I should have probably given a more in-depth assignment over break, but didn't have one really crafted. But I did say what my plan was for when we get back (studying the formal elements of art).

Need to work on:
Talking too fast—I think my nervousness really shows that way; they have lots of trouble following me. I may talk too softly as well, though I feel like I'm reeeally not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home